Opportunity to Succeed Read-A-Thon
Presented by Spectrum Marketing & Communications
Benefiting Inspiring the American Dream Foundation
According to the 2010 Annie E. Casey Early Warning Study*, reading proficiently by the end of 3rd grade can be a make-or-break benchmark in a child’s educational development. The study found that low achievement in reading has important long-term consequences in terms of individual earning potential, global competitiveness and general productivity.
The Opportunity to Succeed Read-A-Thon, presented by Spectrum Marketing & Communications, is a South Carolina Education and Workforce Development initiative designed to encourage and motivate 3rd grade students to read at or above grade level. The competition will be open to students throughout Upstate, South Carolina.
How Does It Work
Donors sponsor a local, elementary school (3rd grade class) of their choice to participate in the Read-A-Thon competition.
Working with participating school media specialists, representatives from Inspiring the American Dream Foundation will kick-off the initiative through a series of in-school presentations. The events will include an overview of the reading challenge, student evaluation criteria and incentives. Greenville and Pickens County Library System representatives will also share information about how to get a library card and distribute bookmarks and the Library newsletter.
Upon completion of the kick-off events, beneficiary school students will compete against each other in a reading challenge. The challenge will run for eight weeks with students evaluated on:
- Number of books read
- Number of pages read
- Number of visits to their school library media center
- Having a Greenville or Pickens County Library card
- Participation in a pre-scheduled tour of any Greenville or Pickens County Library System location
- Number of visits to any Greenville or Pickens County Library System location
Inspiring the American Dream Foundation will recognize students of the winning school and their sponsor at an in-school pizza party and celebration event. Winning students will receive:
- Opportunity to Succeed Reading Medals
- Opportunity to Succeed Certificates of Accomplishment
- Tickets to a Clemson Tigers basketball game in Greenville
- Other Tickets and Passes to Local Events and Recreational Facilities
The winning school will receive a complimentary copy of Inspiring the American Dream Foundation’s Opportunity to Succeed Program curriculum.
$500 contribution to Inspiring the American Dream Foundation
- Contribution will support emergent literacy throughout Upstate South Carolina
- Mentions in press releases announcing Read-A-Thon kick-off and challenge winner
- Photo opportunity for donor representative(s) at kick-off and celebration events
- Social media support
- Local press coverage
- Association with recognized leaders in South Carolina Education & Workforce Development movement
- Community goodwill
Donate Today!Become A Supporter
* 2010 KIDS COUNT Special Report from the Annie E. Casey Foundation, EARLY WARNING! Why Reading by the End of Third Grade Matters